LOCAL LEADERS RECOGNIZED AT TOURISM LEADERSHIP CELEBRATION AWARDS
11 recipients honoured for their leadership and dedication to tourism in Saskatoon
Tourism Saskatoon, Saskatoon Sports Tourism and the Saskatoon Hotels Association are pleased to announce the award recipients of the third annual Saskatoon Shines! Tourism Leadership Celebration. Held in conjunction with Tourism Week in Canada and Tourism Awareness Week in Saskatchewan, the event took place on Wednesday, June 8 at the Sheraton Cavalier Hotel.
The Saskatoon Shines! Tourism Leadership Celebration is an annual event to publicly recognize the efforts of volunteers who participate in bidding for events and/or seeing them through to completion.
The 2011 award recipients are:
- Slawko Kindrachuk – Chair, Ukrainian Day in the Park
- Brad Sylvester – Chair, Optimist Club Canada Day Celebrations
- Brenda Mundell – Chair, Pion-Era
- Vice Chief Lyle Whitefish – Chair, FSIN/SIGA Pow Wow
- Neil Collins – Chair, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers All Canada Progress Meeting, 2010
- Scott Banda – Chair, Federated Co-Operatives Conferences and Meetings, 2010
- Virginia Wittrock – Co-Chair Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Conference, 2013
- Craig Smith – Co-Chair Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Conference, 2013
- Steve Carroll – Chair, Summer Senior Diving Nationals, 2010
- Carol Benkic – Chair, Speedo Western Swimming Championship, 2010
- Basil Hughton – Chair, CIS Men’s Hockey Championship Bid, 2013 & 2014 and CIS Men’s Volleyball Championship Bid, 2015
“So much of our tourism economy, from employment to revenues, is dependent on local leaders who give their time and energy to events they are passionate about,” says Todd Brandt, President and CEO of Tourism Saskatoon.
“Hosting events of any type is a major commitment. The Saskatoon Shines! Tourism Leadership Celebration is our industry’s way of saying thanks, and honouring the award recipients for their extraordinary effort,” says Brandt.
According to estimated figures by Tourism Saskatchewan, tourism in Saskatoon is worth over $500 million. This accounts for close to one-third of the $1.6 billion in travel expenditures throughout Saskatchewan.
- 30 -
For more information, contact:
Director of Industry Development and Sports Tourism
Sport Tourism Coordinator
About Tourism Saskatoon
Tourism Saskatoon is a membership-based, non-profit visitor and convention bureau marketing Saskatoon and region as a destination of choice for leisure and business travel. Services include convention and events attraction, media relations, and membership services and advocacy. One of a few destinations in Canada, Tourism Saskatoon holds Destination Marketing Accreditation by Destination Marketing Association International. Nicknamed “the hub city” for its numerous domestic and international transportation connections, Saskatoon is known for its expansive parklands and admired for its arts and culture scene, festivals and major sporting events. For more information, visit www.tourismsaskatoon.com.
About Saskatoon Sports Tourism
Saskatoon Sports Tourism was created to guide the attraction, retention and creation of sports tourism activities in Saskatoon. Saskatoon Sports Tourism assists event organizers to locate local suppliers, sports venues, and hotel accommodations and helps increase local awareness and attendance at events. For more information, visit www.saskatoonsportstourism.com.