Local leaders recognized at Tourism Leadership Celebration
13 recipients honoured for their dedication to tourism in Saskatoon
Tourism Saskatoon, the Saskatoon Hotel Association, and Saskatoon Sports Tourism are excited to announce the award recipients of the fifth annual Saskatoon Shines! Tourism Leadership Celebration.
The leadership celebration is an annual event to publicly recognize the efforts of individuals who have contributed to tourism in our city through attractions management, or by hosting or bidding for events. In 2012, Saskatoon hosted a number of high-profile events, and our attractions continued to draw tourists from near and far.
This year’s Saskatoon Shines! Tourism Leadership Celebration recognizes 13 individuals for their dedication to tourism in 2012:
- Herm Hordal – Chair, Velocity Prairie Thunder – NASCAR Canadian Tire Race Series
- Lynn Ewing – President, Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra
- Brice Field – Chair, Saskatoon Pride Festival
- Laura Petrishen-Ha – Chair, Saskatoon Blitz
- Vic Dubois – Chair, Canadian Country Music Awards
- Tiffany Paulsen – Chair, Federation of Canadian Municipalities Conference
- Shari Benson – Bid Chair, United Way Centraide of Canada Conference
- Marilyn Jonas – Bid Chair, Symposium of the World Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
- Kerry Tarasoff – Chair, Tim Hortons Brier
- Joan Markentin and Norm Weins – Meet Managers, Canadian Junior National Diving Championship
- Carmen Bell – Bid Chair, Subaru Western Triathlon Series
- Robert Renneberg – General Manager, Keystone Cup – Junior B Hockey Championship
“The success of our tourism industry, and the benefits it brings to everyone in our city and province, could not be achieved without the passion these individuals have for their city,” said Todd Brandt, President and CEO of Tourism Saskatoon. “In paying tribute to them, we also recognize everyone who gives their time and talent to make tourism an integral part of our vibrant economy. They are truly examples of why Saskatoon shines!”
The Saskatoon Shines! Tourism Leadership Celebration event will be held on Tuesday, June 18 at the Hilton Garden Inn. Tickets are $65 each or $350 for a table of six and can be purchased by contacting Tourism Saskatoon at (306) 931-7583 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
According to Tourism Saskatchewan, tourism in Saskatoon is worth an estimated $509 million annually. This accounts for nearly one-third of the $1.8 billion in travel expenditures throughout Saskatchewan.
- 30 -
For more information, contact:
Director of Media
Direct: (306) 931-7585
President & CEO
Direct: (306) 931-7574
About Tourism Saskatoon
Tourism Saskatoon is a membership-based, non-profit visitor and convention bureau marketing Saskatoon and region as a destination of choice for leisure and business travel. Services include convention and events attraction, media relations, and membership services advocacy. Tourism Saskatoon is one of only six internationally accredited destination marketing organizations in Canada. Nicknamed “the hub city” for its numerous domestic and international transportation connections, Saskatoon is known for its expansive parklands and admired for its arts and culture scene, festivals, and major sporting events. For more information, visit www.tourismsaskatoon.com.