Careers with Tourism Saskatoon
Tourism Saskatoon is the internationally accredited destination management organization for Saskatoon. Our innovative team of youthfully spirited adventurers are leaders in marketing and managing Saskatoon’s authentic experiences at home and around the world. We tell the story of Saskatoon so well that people worldwide will be inspired to travel to Saskatoon. We are passionate about Saskatooning! If you are too, come and join our team!
Manager, Business Development
Full Time – Temporary (~21 mo.)
Are you a sales leader who is motivated by promoting Saskatoon as a Business Event, Sporting Event and Leisure destination on the Canadian and world stage?
Are you passionate about the opportunity to represent our diverse and vibrant city and community?
Do you have a strong innovative and creative outlook for sales and business development from a Canadian and International perspective?
If so, Tourism Saskatoon’s Manager, Business Development role could be the right match for you.
Working as our Manager, Business Development, you will be looked to as a leader, spokesperson, and partner with individuals, organizations, and strategic partners that support the growth and development of business events, sporting events and leisure travel in Saskatoon from National and International markets.
Tourism Saskatoon is a fast-paced and fast-growing internationally accredited destination management organization. We market and manage Saskatoon’s authentic experiences at home and around the world. By telling the story of our city, we inspire people around the world to visit.
As the manager, Business Development, you will support the Business Development team whose goals are to research, qualify and develop leads that create RFP and bid opportunities. With a solid foundation of nurturing relationships and maintaining a focus on Saskatoon’s sectors of strength, you are responsible for developing and maintaining Tourism Saskatoon’s database of business events and cultural event leads and prospects. Your strong commitment to working as a team with an ability to foster strong working relationships, gain agreement on timelines and data requirements to manage both external and internal stakeholder requirements will ensure Saskatoon continues to be top of mind through our business development efforts. You will lead Tourism Saskatoon’s Legacy Project that enables greater business event hosting opportunities for our city. To generate and close business, the work will include support for the strategic activation of the Legacy Program.
The Manager works directly with and reports to the Director, Business Development to plan and implement sales strategies related to the Canadian and International market within the direction of the annual Tourism Saskatoon business plan. This is achieved by actioning specific market-driven sales strategies and activities, including the delivery of the highest possible standards of sales and service. Essential to success is effective communication with colleagues, clients, Tourism Saskatoon members, and partners.
This is a leadership role on behalf of Tourism Saskatoon, as well as the entire Saskatoon tourism and hospitality community and sector active in the Canadian and International markets. This position is accountable for generating high revenue, qualified leads and converting them to definite business for the benefit of Tourism Saskatoon member organizations and for the overall positive economic impact for the city of Saskatoon and surrounding region.
What You’ll Need:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in sales, marketing, and event hosting.
- Experience managing a sales team is required.
- Post-secondary degree or equivalent experience in business or tourism is an asset.
- Demonstrated track record in prospecting, researching, and qualifying leads that convert to confirmed business or cultural events.
- An existing network of association clients and local sector connections.
- A strong understanding and proficiency with MS Office applications, CRM’s, efficient database management, and report development.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills with an eye for detail and follow-up.
- Ability to travel representing Tourism Saskatoon at industry events, site visits, and FAM tours.
- Established networks in business events, sport tourism, and travel trade are an asset
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Extensive knowledge of Saskatoon and area with specific knowledge of venues, hotels, and hosting facilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit that supports the growth and development of Saskatoon’s sectors of strength through business event hosting
- Ability to source and secure grants and outside funding
What You’ll Do:
In this role, you will be responsible for:
Management of Business Development Team
- Provides leadership to Team Members including recruiting, training, coaching, providing ongoing feedback to direct reports
- Provides leadership and support to Director, Business & Destination Development with corporate reporting, KPI tracking and accountability, project management, in market travel and data management.
- Provide support to Director, Business & Destination development on the creation and submission of funding proposals
- Provide leadership to Business Development team with research on sectors that support the full sales cycle.
- Provide leadership and delegation for site visits and fam tours
- Support the Director, Business & Destination Development with Corporate Reporting and Budget Management
Planning and Strategy Development
- Assists in developing, preparing, and managing the annual business plan strategy, content and budget
- Assists with the ongoing identification and development of Tourism Saskatoon’s sales and marketing goals and objectives and the delivery of business development strategies and tactics
- Prepares and delivers Saskatoon destination bid presentations to decision making and influencing clients
- Prepares and delivers Tourism Saskatoon presentations for members and industry partners
- Maintains active membership in high priority industry associations/organizations, including volunteer leadership roles where appropriate and beneficial to achieving goals
- Works closely with in market business development Team Member to partner with Cities in Sync in the National market to identify new lead opportunities, exchange knowledge and account intelligence as well as a business event service best practice
Sales and Service Delivery
- Efficiently use Tourism Saskatoon’s Customer Relations Management (CRM) account database management software program – SimpleView, for account generation and management, lead development and trace follow-up. As well as a communication and information system tool for all bookings.
- Supports and drives innovation for Tourism Saskatoon bid site.
- Manages lead system policies and procedures in referring business to Tourism Saskatoon members and partners in a fair and equitable manner
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with members and partners active in market and related industry partners
- Oversees and supports Tourism Saskatoon member and partner participation in sales missions, trade shows and conferences as well as business development and special promotional activities and events.
- Keeps informed regarding member personnel changes, product development and renovations, changes in management, regular hotel and facility site inspections, visits with sales personnel and property tours, regular contact/meetings with key members and industry partners active in the market.
- Keeps informed on the City of Saskatoon level developments, policy, practices, trends, and events.
- Keeps informed on worldwide competition regarding sales and marketing for Canadian and International business competitive DMO activities and budgets, and new and expanded convention facilities.
- Provides partners requesting Canada and International sales and marketing activity information, market intelligence, and business event/sport event data.
- Supports attendance building activities for definite business
Management of the Legacy Project
- Hit all KPIs for program including onboarding new Legacy Builders, social media presence, community events, program communications, and webpage development.
- This position is based in-person at our physical office in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and is not a remote position
- Employment Status: Full time, temporary, with the possibility of becoming permanent subject to maternity leave
- This position requires some physical activity, lifting
- Successful applicant must have a valid class 5 drivers license and reliable vehicle for in-town driving
- Regular national and some international travel required
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume in confidence by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject: Manager, Business Development
Closing Date: This opportunity will be posted until filled.