Saskatoon CommUNITY Commitment
As Saskatchewan moves through the unsettled world of further restrictions and re-opening, we want to acknowledge the incredible strain that businesses and organizations in Saskatoon have been under. The pressure associated with following the continually updated Public Health Order and the Re-Open Saskatchewan Plan, while receiving other information and supplemental resources, is immense. How can we keep up? Tourism Saskatoon is here to help.
Our community is at the heart of everything we do, and we know the strength of the tourism sector depends on the resilience of our business community. On June 17, 2020 we launched the Saskatoon CommUNITY Commitment; a co-created destination-wide pledge that provides resources and support for businesses to check or develop their internal controls and mitigate the risk of COVID-19 transmission for their employees and guests. In light of elevated transmission across the province and updates to the Public Health Order, we have updated the resources as of December 15 and added a second informational webinar, which will be available to view on December 18, 2020.
These resources do not replace, or add to, the provincial guidelines or Public Health Order. Rather, they describe a simple, “back to basics” approach to performing a risk assessment in your business so that you can be confident that the transmission controls you have implemented are as robust as possible for your situation. This approach has been endorsed by Saskatoon’s Medical Health Officer as an effective way to develop COVID-19 controls. This does not mean that using these resources guarantees that you will never have a COVID-19 case in your business, however, they will help you to respond to the situation with confidence and put actions in place to reduce the risk of a repeat scenario.
When you become a partner of Saskatoon’s CommUNITY Commitment, you will be able to display a written statement to your customers reflecting the value that you place on health and safety. Our partners can display the CommUNITY Commitment logo proudly inside their businesses and on their digital platforms, reassuring safety and security but also demonstrating that we are all better together.
How do you get involved?
1. Watch our one-hour risk assessment webinar “Thinking Beyond the Mask” with Tourism Saskatoon CEO Steph Clovechok and Safety Specialist Robyn Reist.
3. Use the webinar and supplementary documents to perform a risk assessment and either develop new controls for your business or assess your existing controls for improvements.
4. If you need assistance with any of the above steps or would like to have your controls reviewed by our Safety Specialist, contact Tourism Saskatoon or Robyn Reist directly. There is no cost to you for Robyn’s services!
5. Bonus webinar! If you can’t get enough of risk assessment/hierarchy of controls, check out our second webinar. Viewing this webinar is not required as part of the CommUNITY Commitment program, but its content dealing with how the mental health challenges of a COVID winter may impact workplace safety will likely be relevant to your operations in the coming months.
6. When you have performed your assessment and implemented your controls, fill out the form below to request the Saskatoon CommUNITY Commitment documents and logos to demonstrate your partnership. This is a voluntary program and we do not need to see your worksheet or review your controls, but if you would like feedback you are welcome to contact us!
The Saskatoon CommUNITY Commitment program is open to all businesses and organizations in Saskatoon – you do not need to be a paid Tourism Saskatoon partner to join. Please contact Brenden Branscombe, Membership Engagement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 306-242-1206 if you have additional questions about how to get started.
Should you have any challenges in developing and refining your internal controls, we are here to help. Our OH&S consultant, Robyn Reist, is with us to support you with any one-on-one conversations that are required until you are ready to make your commitment.
- Template for Post-Infection
- WorkSafe Saskatchewan
- Government of Saskatchewan Information for Businesses and Workers
- Government of Saskatchewan Workplace Contact Notification Toolkit
- Government of Saskatchewan Re-Open Saskatchewan Plan
Thank you to these businesses who have signed the CommUNITY Commitment!